Soccer is the most widely-watched sport in the world, and in recent years is becoming a big deal in the US, with fans tuning into international matches and supporting domestic leagues like Major League Soccer (MLS). For fans who grew up loving football, basketball, baseball or hockey, however, it can be intimidating to figure out what’s going on, and which teams one should cheer for.
After all, you don’t want to mix up Manchester City with Manchester United, or pick a team to cheer for that just got relegated to a lower division!
Click through this list of current books to learn more about the most popular sport in the world, which is rapidly taking over the US!
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia™ Official Book: The entire soccer world will turn its attention to Russia this summer as 32 teams compete for the 2018 FIFA World Cup. Whether you have a rooting interest for a particular country or not, this guide will help you appreciate the amazing stories which occur when the greatest soccer teams in the world come together to battle for the most prized trophy in sports. Can Germany defend their 2014 title? Can Neymar lead Brazil to the pinnacle and establish himself alongside the great names in World Cup history? Study up with this guide and prepare for all the action!
- The Premier League: 25 Years provides all the historical context and background for fans new and old to appreciate the English Premier League, which is the most widely-watched international league by fans in the US. Thanks to a broadcasting partnership with NBC, the Premier League is reaching millions of Americans each week, and this “by the fans for the fans” guide will bring you up to speed on the teams, personalities and rivalries which make the EPL so entertaining. Consider this book to be essential reading before heading out for a Saturday morning watch party at a local pub.
- Club Soccer 101: The Essential Guide to the Stars, Stats, and Stories of 101 of the Greatest Teams in the World is a wonderful way to learn about top pro soccer teams from a variety of leagues around the world. Even though a little bit dated (published in 2014), it serves as the perfect primer for new soccer fans to learn about the great teams like Arsenal, Bayern Munich, FC Barcelona and many, many more. Each team is covered in the course of a few pages, so it’s also a great book to keep on the side table where you watch games, or in the bathroom for those halftime breaks!
- The United States of Soccer: MLS and the Rise of American Soccer Fandom tells the story of America’s top pro soccer circuit, Major League Soccer (MLS) and its 20+ year rise to prominence in the US. Sports fans have been told that soccer was “the next big thing” in America for decades, but between the growth of MLS and the success of the US Womens National Team, that dream is starting to become reality. So while you are learning all about the international game at the World Cup and professional club level, don’t forget to read up on American pro soccer, too.
- The Vision Book of Football Records 2018 is the perfect coffee-table book to have around as you watch soccer this year, it is jam-packed with facts and figures from around the world of international clubs, from England to Brazil and beyond. It’s the ideal companion to have on-hand as you catch a random matchup on TV. Don’t know much about Bournemouth or Stoke City? Just dive into this tome and you’ll be up to speed in no time.
So there you have it, 5 essential titles to get soccer fans new and old ready for what should be an exciting 2018. Whether your interest is in the US, Europe, or the global battle for the World Cup that will take place in Russia this summer, these books will have you ready for the action!